Wm. F. Horne & Company currently seeks qualified candidates for a Tax Supervisor or Manager.
This candidate is an experienced professional who demonstrates competence in the area of tax services. They will possess the ability to supervise projects and special assignments, make independent judgments and decisions, yet keep close communication with other areas of the firm as part of a close knit team. A self-starter who is highly organized, good at meeting time and quality expectations, and excellent client facing and overall people skills will flourish in this position. As a member of our tax practice, this person will participate regularly in practice and firm update meeting which provide for significant team interaction, including with partners of the firm.
Primary duties include but are not limited to:
- Demonstrates proficiency in tax return preparation and procedures.
- Assumes full responsibility for supervising projects and special assignments using established Firm policies and procedures.
- Coordinates various phases of projects, budgets time and expenses, monitors actual performance against budget, reviews working papers for accuracy and completeness, and reviews financial statements for suitability of presentation and adequacy of disclosures.
- Resolves accounting and consulting problems as they arise.
- Provides supervision and the on-the-job training to staff assigned to project.
- Assigns work to staff members based on their knowledge and capabilities.
- Supports training of staff members, offers guidance and direction, gives constructive criticism of working papers.
- Ensures that working papers, financial statements, tax returns, and letters of recommendations are prepared in accordance with generally accepted professional and Firm standards.
- Communicates project’s progress, problems, resolutions, financial information, tax activity and other business concerns to Managers, Senior Managers, or Partners.
- Prepares or reviews financial statements, notes, schedules, management letters, and tax returns for later discussion between Manager or Partner and the client.
- Assists in recruiting entry-level and experienced staff and attends Beta Alpha Psi events and functions at colleges and universities sponsored by the Firm as well as such other recruiting duties as needed.
- Attends to client service and adding value to clients’ businesses is an integral part of the job requirements and demonstrates the ability to identify cross-selling opportunities and follow through with those opportunities or refer them to other professionals if necessary.
- Takes responsibility for accuracy of data entry, accumulation, and maintenance in all aspects of what we do as an accounting and consulting Firm.
- Learns through Mentor or direct Manager proper delegation and management of workload and demonstrates ability to properly delegate and manage workload.
- Assists in marketing the Firm.
- Participates in Firm’s practice development efforts including expanding services to clients.
- Prepares other reports and projects as requested from time to time by Managers or Partners.
- Understands the Firm’s business on a day to day basis: billings and collections, proper utilization of staff, Firm policies and procedures, etc.
- Serves as Mentor for Senior Associates and Associates.
- Such other duties as may be assigned.
- Minimum of four(4) years of experience in public accounting or consulting, with an emphasis in tax return preparation for individuals and businesses. Salary and position dependent on the candidate’s career progression.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, or Master’s degree in accounting, or degree appropriate to practice area.
- Minimum of forty hours of continuing professional education is required each year to develop technical and supervisory skills to provide and supervise services to clients.
Required Licenses, Certificates, or Knowledge:
- A current and valid certified public accountants license is required.
- Must be a member in good standings with the American Institute of CPAs and respective state societies.
- Proficiency in use of computers and computer accounting software, or software appropriate to practice area.