Blog | WM. F. Horne & Company, PLLC


Are You Required to File 1099s?

If you use independent contractors to perform services for your business and you pay them $600 or more for the year, you are required to issue them a Form 1099-MISC after the end of the year to avoid facing the loss of the deduction for their labor and expenses. The 1099s for 2012 must be provided to the independent contractor no later than January 31 of 2013.

It is not uncommon to, say, have a repairman out early in the year, pay him less than $600, and then use his services again later and have the total for the year exceed the $600 limit. As a result, you overlook getting the information needed to file the 1099s for the year. Therefore, it is good practice to have individuals who are not incorporated complete and sign the IRS Form W-9 the first time you use their services. Having a properly completed and signed Form W-9s for all independent contractors and service providers eliminates any oversights and protects you against IRS penalties and conflicts.

IRS Form W-9 is provided by the government as a means for you to obtain the data required to file the 1099s for your vendors. It also provides you with verification that you complied with the law should the vendor provide you with incorrect information. We highly recommend that you have a potential vendor complete the Form W-9 prior to engaging in business with them. The form can either be printed out or filled onscreen and then printed out. A Spanish-language version is also available. The W-9 is for your use only and is not submitted to the IRS.

To avoid a penalty, copies of the 1099s must to be sent to the IRS by February 28, 2013. They must be submitted on magnetic media or on optically scannable forms.

  • 13 Dec, 2012
  • webmaster

Share This Story