Blog | WM. F. Horne & Company, PLLC


What to Do if You Are Missing a W-2

Have you received your W-2? These documents are essential to filling out most individual tax returns. You should receive a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from all of your employers each year. Employers had until January 31st to provide or send you a 2010 W-2 earnings statement either electronically or in paper form. If you have not received your W-2, follow these steps:

1. Contact this office – And let us know you are missing a W-2. If your appointment is in the near future, we will advise you whether to keep the appointment or change it to another time. Generally, when a W-2 or 1099 is missing, it is best to keep the appointment. We can complete everything else for the return, except for the missing document, which you can mail or drop by the office at a later date. That way, we can finish your return as soon as the W-2 or 1099 is available. This will speed up your refund if you are receiving one.

2. Contact your employer – Contact your employer to inquire if and when the W-2 was mailed. If it was mailed, it may have been returned to the employer because of an incorrect or incomplete address. After contacting the employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for them to resend or to issue the W-2.

3. Contact the IRS – If you still have not received your W-2 by February 16, you can contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. However, we recommend that you hold off from contacting the IRS until you are certain that you will not be receiving a W-2 from the employer. If, and when, you do call the IRS, have the following information at hand:

  • Employer’s name, address, city, and state, including zip code;
  • Your name, address, city and state, including zip code, and Social Security number; and
  • An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and the period you worked for that employer. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible. This office can assist you in making the estimate.

 4. File your return – Even if you don’t receive a W-2, you still must file your tax return or request an extension to file by April 15.

  • If you anticipate that you will ultimately receive the missing W-2, this office can estimate your 2010 tax liability and file extensions for you. If you have a substantial refund coming, you may opt to have this office prepare a substitute W-2 and you can file without the W-2. Refunds for returns including substitute W-2s can significantly be delayed while the IRS verifies the W-2 information.
  • If you don’t anticipate receiving the missing W-2, then this office can prepare a substitute W-2, allowing you to file your 2010 tax return.

If a substitute W-2 is used and it is later determined that the information used to prepare the substitute W-2 was in error, we may have to prepare an amended return for you to file.

Please call our office if you have any questions.
  • 11 Mar, 2011
  • webmaster

Share This Story